Non-governmental organization (NGO), Egypt and Sudan.
“Mesahat” was established on Sep 5th, 2015 to work on identifying and reducing security risks and eliminating the social obstacles faced by sexual and gender minorities in the Nile Valley Area (Egypt & Sudan). Further, Mesahat works to create appropriate means and tools for Queer Activists to carry on their work safely in the region and contribute to creating nourished and effective Queer societies.
Creating a society free of violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in the Nile Valley Area (Egypt & Sudan).
Creating safe spaces and providing appropriate means and tools for sexual and gender minorities in the Nile Valley Area to fight for their rights and dignity.
Goals / objectives
Mesahat main objectives:
– To create safe spaces for sexual and gender minorities in the Nile Valley Area.
– To provide appropriate means and tools that empower and build the capacity of Queer activists in the Nile Valley region which reduce their risks of harm.
– To raise awareness on the importance of fighting against homophobia & transphobia or any forms of violence or discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in the Nile Valley Area.
Main programs / services
Mesahat main programs:
Leadership and Capacity Building:
- Building the Capacity & Leadership Skills of the Current or Prospective Queer Youth leaders in the Nile Valley Area.
- Leadership Assessment through Identifying Strengths and Weaknesses.
- Trainings and workshops.
Holistic Security (Digital Security, Personal Safety, and emotional and psychological well-being)
- Providing security and safety plans & assessments to individuals, activists and organizations.
- Facilitating communication and networking between Sudanese and Egyptian LGBTQIA+ activists and digital security experts and NGO’s for continuous support and follow up.
- Training on personal safety and digital security issues.
. Personal empowerment training to eliminate the social and cultural obstacles including multifaceted issues related to faith and spirituality.
. Online campaigns.
- Documenting violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity ” SOGIESC “.
- Writing & Publishing Country Reports.
- Creating documentary films to introduce the political, social, cultural, and religious contexts in which LGBTQIA+ individuals live in, and document their life experience and oral history living as Queer individuals in Egypt and Sudan.